Sunday 19 January 2014

Parkrun PB and A Successful Long Run


Following last weeks PB at Parkrun I wasn't so sure I could it again. But I managed to shave a whole 32 second off finishing in 24.08. I am so pleased with this result, it gives me confidence in my marathon training and it's so nice to see your hard work paying off. The previous week when I got a PB I had included spinning and swimming into that week's training but this week I didn't have the time so was very surprised.  I don't know if I mentioned on here or not but by the marathon I would like to be able to finish in sub 23 and I can feel myself inching closer (and much faster than expected) to this. Next week I am hoping for sub 24. Fingers crossed!



Today was also my long run for the week and the plan called for 8 miles. A few people in my running club are also training for the marathon so we did this run together; the 4 of us doing the marathon plus two others. I can't quite put my finger on exactly why but this was one of the best run's I've ever had. We started out at our gym, ran through the City Centre (it was Sunday and just before 9am so very little people about) followed the road for a while before switching to a muddy (but fun) track and headed back to the gym via one of the biggest parks in the city. Everything was perfect, it was lovely sunny winters day, it was broken up with different terrain and scenery, wonderful company and as we were coming back through the park the sunlight was streaming through the trees creating the most amazing light show.

Now my watch tells me we did just under 9 miles but I do pause my run when we stop or walk. We don't walk a lot but we do stop every so often to regroup and we might walk for a couple of hundred yards as we get so engrossed in chatting we forget to start running. I also paused my watch to cross the road and forgot to restart it. A few others recorded closer to 12 miles so I would say they were more accurate. But either way it didn't feel like a long run, it felt like a comfortable run with friends.



I am also reading (for the 4th time) 'A Life without Limits' by Chrissie Wellington. I came across this book almost by accident has I had never heard of her. But the cover kept appearing on my Instagram - it turned out a lot of people were reading it so I brought myself a copy. At first I was skeptical - not about her accomplishments which include 13 Ironman wins out of 13 - but because I am into running not triathlons, so wasn't sure I would be able to get into it. But I was quickly addicted. This woman is amazing. As I said she won 13 of the 13 Ironman races that she entered but she also won her first within a few months of turning pro. And the best bit is a few years previously she ran a 14km race ( 8.7miles) in 1 hour 19 mins averaging just over 9 min miles. Even she was impressed with her time. But then a few years later she is running sub 3 hour marathons having already completed a 2.4 mile swim and 112 mile bike ride. Inspirational is the only way to describe this woman.

As a result of reading her book (the first time round) my boyfriend and I brought road bikes and are hoping to enter a triathlon this summer. Ironman is now very much on my bucket list - I might start with a half first tho. But I seriously recommend you reading this book, Chrissie is an excellent example of how hard work and dedication really do pay off.



On Saturday I also entered the London to Brighton bike ride organised by the British Heart Foundation. I have wanted to do this for a few years and finally have a decent bike to enter with so in June I will be cycling 54 miles from Clapham Common to Brighton. It's only 8 weeks after the London marathon which doesn't leave much time for recovery before training picks up again but I am very excited about this.

All in all the perfect running weekend. The rest of Sunday was spent reading, watching films and having an afternoon nap. What better way to spend the day.  


Has anyone completed London to Brighton before? What are your thoughts/tips?

Twitter @roadrunnertales
Instagram @roadrunnertales


No comments:

Post a Comment