Wednesday 26 February 2014

Glow in the Park, Parkrun PB & Injury

Following the Bramley 20 miler I decided to have a reduced mileage week to let my body recover a bit.

I took Monday and Tuesday off and it was nice to have some time to chill out and not worry about having to fit in a run or go to the gym.

Wednesday there was a local 10k called Glow in the Park - as the name suggests its in the dark (well 7.30pm is dark) and it took place on a local park and everyone has to wear head torches. It was really good fun, there were 8 of us from running club who went along. We did manage to get separated at the beginning and ended up running in 2 packs but it was a fun run so we could have a chat and enjoy it, rather than sprinting round individually hoping for a PB. A few times I turned around to see hundred of head torches all bobbing along behind us.

Thursday I hit the gym before work for a 3 mile interval session on the treadmill and 30 mins of abs. After work I went back and did body pump, spinning and had a little paddle in the pool after. I was pretty pooped by the time I got home but it felt good to be back in the swing of things again.



Saturday was the day I hit the magical sub 24min Parkrun - 23.56 to be exact. My intentions were to have a steady run but after I hit the first mile in 8.05 I knew I could PB. Recently I have been good increasing my speed as the miles roll by and knew I had it in me. The last mile I was one of those really annoying heavy breathers who are going for a death or glory style finish. I was too scared to check the watch in the last mile - I was terrified of discovering I was almost dying but only hitting 9 min miles. Needless to say I was pretty chuffed for the rest of the day. I did try to join the BF after Parkrun for a few extra miles but after I hit the first mile in 10.26 it was safe to say I was out of energy so headed home instead.



Sunday I really had to drag myself out for a run - we'd been to visit friends in Brighton on Saturday afternoon and left Sunday morning so it meant my long run was in the afternoon. After we got home I made the mistake of sitting down for half an hour so the idea of getting up and going for a 2-2.5 hour run didn't appeal. I was torn with how many miles to do - the plan said 18 but I was happy to hit the 11 mark as I wanted a less intense week so decided to see how I felt. Unfortunately at around mile 7 I started getting pain in my right ankle (well between the ankle and the arch of the foot). My planned route was a figure of 8 with my house being right in the middle, so I decided to see how it felt when I got closer to home. The pain was getting worse the more I ran so I had to call it a day at 9.6miles.

Annoyingly I have no idea what the pain is or what caused it. After Bramley I did have some pain there (and for the last mile - I put this down to being at mile 19 and everything starts to hurt) but stupidly didn't really do much about it. I just left it thinking it was a long run and would see how it was. And Wedesday, Thursday and Saturday I had no problem running. Another thought is it could be my trainers - but I've been wearing them for a while so I would have thought it would have played up before now?!

Needless to say this week has been very much a rest and ice week. The pain isn't constant or overly painful so it's hard to really assess it. I will try running later this week and see how it is. I am meant to be doing the Bath Half on Sunday but the slightest bit of pain and I will pull out - the marathon is my main goal not the half and I need to ensure I was injury free by then and can't afford a set back this close. If I do pull out of Bath I will book a physio app and go from there.

Fingers crossed that rest and ice will do the trick...


No comments:

Post a Comment